Thursday, April 29, 2010

Self Help

I have always LOVED self help books. I always gravitate to that section in any bookstore or library. I have read many always searching for the key to happiness. My personal favorite is "How to Be Your Own Best Friend" by Mildred Newman and her husband Bernard Berkowitz. This is an amazing book. It is a small book and easy to read. It is a little old fashioned and you have to look past it when it talks about house wives and such. It also contains one paragraph that speaks of homosexuality as if it is a disease. Both of these chap my hide, but please skim over that part and look at the heart of the book. Making your own happiness as a choice.

I found out my key to happiness is not creating grand expectations in my mind, instead flowing and living in the moment. Also feeling accomplishment in everyday tasks. (Yeah well I also take antidepressants. I have suffered with genetic depression in the past.) Also the realization that I am not going to be happy all the time nor should I strive for that. Shit happens and it is okay to feel bad......sometimes.....for a good reason.

All of this here was to tell you....... I went to a bookstore the other day. The self help section was calling me to it. When I got there...I determined I don't need anymore help!!

What a relief!!

So I bought a romance novel instead. I am not implying here that I need help with romance!

Joytobe

1 comment:

Minda said...

so funny, we are the opposite on this! I have only read three "self help" books in my whole life, I usually hate them, but I am reading one right now that I love. Its called Women, Food and God. Really gets into why what we eat and how and when we eat shows what we really believe about life and God. Really has me thinking!