Thursday, February 11, 2010

Sorry FlyLady....you're wrong about this

FlyLady is an organization self help website. Don't get me wrong. It is great. I use many of her tips in my daily life but her rules are too strict and not flexible enough for me. One of her steadfast rules is the dishes HAVE to be done EVERY NIGHT after dinner. Your sink needs to shine before you go to bed. I rebel and say NO.

Well FlyLady approximately 3 minutes ago I did last nights dinner dishes. And I feel great!!

When once upon a time I called myself a flybaby ( a follower of FlyLady) I use to cringe when I saw the sink full of dishes or the counter with dishes on it at the end of the night. Oh the guilt I used to feel. No Thank you

Here is my deal. At night I am tired and the last of my energy for the day is going to spent enjoying my family. My daughter wants to read me her library book curled up on the couch. My teenage son wants to tell me about his day. My husband wants to watch a movie after the kids go to bed. Holy Moly would I give up these moments to do the dishes? (I used to). This is the only time my whole family is together. The dishes will be there tomorrow, these moment would be lost forever.

So here is my method. My teenage son, Billy, clears the table. Stacks the dishes on the counter near the sink. I put away any leftovers. My 7 year old daughter, Savanah, wipes off the dinner table. I make sure one counter space is cleared off to make her lunch in the morning. And VIOLA We are all done for the night. Yay! Play time Fun time Family time. All worth it.

The dishes usually get done in the morning unless I have something going on like I did today. Today I used my time wisely volunteering at Savanah's school. Again the dishes can wait.

The point to this is: Find what works for you. Never sacrifice time well spent with your family.

Enjoy the kids before they are gone.
Joytobe

No comments: