Monday, February 15, 2010

Okay so on to the son's girlfriend thing.

Where do I start. Well first of all I do like her. She is funny, smart and attractive. He absolutely adores her! I mean really adores her. I can tell. He is nervous, happy and excited. And if it was anyone else's son I would think it was cute or endearing. But he is MY son.

And obviously I am not ready for all of this even if he is. I think I should have prepared myself. But how do you prepare for this?

I am having some weird funky emotions. Like ewe yucky. I am not even sure I can put all of this into words. Maybe I am jealous too. I was his first love after all! They cuddled on the couch a little and oh how my stomach turned. In my mind he is still 8 years old, dressing up as spiderman for the 4th Halloween in a row.

I love having a teenage son. We really connect and talk a lot. We laugh a lot too. He is a great kid. He and I have shared everything in his life up until now. We have worked through the bad stuff and celebrated the good stuff together. Maybe seeing him laugh and talk with her made me feel like I am losing a part of him. There are thoughts and feelings he will share with her and not with me. It is becoming more and more a reality in my mind that he is becoming a man. He will journey out into the world without me. (wiping the tears away) Whew...hard to write.....hard to think about.

So how do I get through this? Any suggestions? And God help me when Savanah, my last baby, travels down this road.

Well I gotta get myself out of this funk. I am going to go bounce.

Dealing with it
Joytobe

No comments: