Friday, February 12, 2010

And There is a Time to Dance

"A time to laugh and a time to weep. A time to mourn and there is a time to dance." What movie is that from?


Okay so I just did one of my To Do's. I bounced, danced and sang.

So why is this so important to me. It doesn't have to be your thing. But you should try it out and see.

I came to this decision to dance every day about one week ago through watching both of my children.

You ever see teenagers with the earplugs hanging out of their ears. Watching my own 15 year old son can drive me crazy. I don't think I have seen him in two years without crap hanging around his neck and wires sticking out of his ears. Moly Holy it's like the things attached themselves to him. Some sort of symbiotic relationship. But....I thought back to my teenage years. When you can't understand your teenager, I suggest you think hard about your teenage years and emotions.

Music was everything to me. It lifted my spirits. The lyrics helped me express myself. I still have a strong connection to music. At any given time during the day some music is playing somewhere in my house.

Then my 7 year old daughter's influence. Have you ever watched a young child just suddenly change from walking to skipping? Or suddenly start jumping around a room. You may wonder as I have, what the heck made them do that? Just completely random. I LOVE that! No particular reason and no filter to stop them from doing whatever pops into their mind. When do we lose that? Yes, as a mature adult we need to have a filter but heck, at what age did I forget how to play?

So the other night I was getting ready for a date night with my husband. I was in the bathroom doing all the girly stuff listening to a CD a friend made for me. I named it "Girl Power CD". I was in such a good mood, happy to have a babysitter, alone time with my husband. I was listening to Katy Perry "Hot 'n Cold" ( a great suggested bounce song). Suddenly I felt like jumping. Dancing. Skipping around the bathroom. Instead of shrugging off this feeling, I did. I bounced. I jumped. I sang at the top of my lungs. I laughed. I damn near cried I was so jubilant.

When the song was over I looked in the mirror and I was smiling, I was glowing.

When I came downstairs my husband asked, "Were you dancing upstairs?" YES, YES I was!

So now I play the music super loud and just bounce and sing at least once a day when the mood strikes me. If the mood doesn't strike me I do it anyways and I find my smile.

I do have a suggestion If you've just gotten out of the shower put clothes on before you bounce! Especially a bra for the gals! If not bouncing just ain't that fun!

Do the dance
Joytobe

1 comment:

Amy said...

Hey Joyce! I've really enjoyed reading your blog these past few days. Your energy & zest is infectious! :) I had to lol when I read your last post about dancing to the music, as this is exactly how I remember you and it brought back so many fond, and FUN, memories. From Duran Duran, to "dancing" in BERLIN, late night MTV marathons, and on and on...thanks for reminding me to just be silly and that it is OK!! :) Have a great weekend!