Monday, May 10, 2010

Who Knows Me?

Facebook is really interesting to me. Recently I have become "facebook friends" with people from my past. Friends from high school. Even friends from elementary school. People I have worked for and with over the years. Through these new/old interactions I have started thinking...... who really knows me?


Those that really know me the least I think are the ones who have worked for me. Many of these people I would have wanted to be friends with. In a manager role you are not really allowed (the unwritten rule) to be friends with those who report to you. I could never truly show myself to them. I had to keep a wall of propriety between us. I had to implement company policies without showing my true opinion or many emotions. I couldn't really befriend anyone for fear of playing favorites. And above all I couldn't show my wicked sense of humor. I am really unconventional as that goes.


I like to think I helped some of them by either being someone who would listen or by giving them career or situational advise. But sad as it may be I don't think they ever got to know me. I like to think they would have liked the real me. The playful, insightful and humorous me.


I suppose in any relationship you adjust for appropriateness. I will allow some of my different characteristics to surface with some people more than others. That is normal and right I suppose.


The person who knows me best is my husband. I can let completely go with him and know I will not be judged. I will still be held accountable for my words or actions but not judged.

Joytobe

No comments: