Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tip For Tuesday - Spring Cleaning

To Spring Clean or not to Spring Clean? That is the question.

Whenever I think of "spring cleaning" I think of 1950's housewives. That brings a guttural uuugggghhh from my bowels. I am not a 1950's housewife. I am not June Cleaver. I am not even Morticia Adams.

I am a Domestic Engineer. So I don't do "spring clean". I do however take time in the spring and fall to "overhaul" my home. I try to make it fun though.

I work in only one room at a time. (very important so you don't get overwhelmed!) This week I am working on the upstairs bathroom.

First I declutter all the cabinets. Throwing out anything that is no longer used (expired medications, old make up, etc.)

Then I reorganizing the stuff that is used. While reorganizing I take stock of anything I need to replenish, soap, sunscreen, etc.

Then I do a very thorough cleaning. (the un-fun part). I clean those parts of the bathroom that go unnoticed during your average cleaning. The grout. the caulk. the window blinds. the lighting fixtures. Soak the trash can. Lift the little knobs off the bottom of the toilet.....eeewwweee gross, clean that too. After this major sweep.....

I fix anything that need to do be fixed or done. For instance every year in this process, I reseal the grout around the tile. Wow looks awesome.

Then I look through the room with a fresh eye. What do I love in this room? What do I hate in this room? What small decorating things can I change with no cost? What color would I like this room to be? Make a wish list of things that cost money that you would like to change in this room. Keep a folder for every room in your house. When you see something in a magazine that you love. Put it in there with your wish list.

Then by all means paint the room the color you want it to be. Now this costs a little money but it is the most dramatic inexpensive change you can make!

Then love the room!

Now move on to another room.
Joytobe

1 comment:

Minda said...

This is a useful way to get ready to move too! We've been doing this for the past week, and then packing away the little extras and throwing out the things that we won't be needing. Next week when we pack in earnest, we'll hopefully have an easier time of it thanks to spring cleaning, not to mention an easier time final cleaning after the move is over!