Monday, May 24, 2010

Hey YOU......

So My Honey came back from his trip Friday to Orlando. He was there for a medical conference. He came back with a lot of interesting information on being healthy which ties in perfectly to my new health kick diet!

One of the key note speakers was Dr Mehmet C. Oz. Yup Dr. Oz. I just love him since he used to be on Oprah now that he has his own show even better. So my Hubby got his book "You Staying Young" Coauthored by Dr. Michael F. Roizen. My honey met Dr Oz and got the book autographed for me!! Jeff also told Dr. Oz that I have a crush on him. hmmm It's true I do but I don't know how my honey knew that.

Anyways this book REALLY speaks to me. It's not necessarily that I want to live longer it's just that I want to live more! I want quality. And if quantity comes with it.... great. I would love to see and play with my great grandchildren.

This message is so strong to me after watching my mother slowly die. It started years before it really started. She gave up on her body even before her body gave up on her. Now I am not saying she could have stopped the MS but I think she could have managed it much better. I also know she fought depression which keeps most people including her motionless and unmotivated. No judgements here at all. I just know with all my heart I don't want to live that life so I have decided I am not going to. Whatever genetics may have thrown at me. This book is teaching me I have more control over the outcomes than I ever would have thought.

In this book they compare your body to a city. "For a city, genes are geography- whether it's built on a river, or whether it's located in a hot or cold climate, or whether it lies directly in a prevalent hurricane path. The city's geography can't inherently change. But the city can adapt to that environment, with earthquake-proof construction, underground tunnels for walking in winter time or a ferry system for commuting. The adaption the city makes to survive and to thrive is what's crucial to its vitality. The same goes for you."

It goes on to say, "Just because you've been dealt a genetic hand that predisposes you to heart disease or diabetes doesn't mean you can't mitigate the effects of those genes. One of the major things we'll teach you is that while you can't change your genes, you can change whether they are turned on or off, or how you express them."

Well I'll be danged.....Who knew?......I didn't.

Lots to learn with this book. I will be examining it carefully.
Joytobe

No comments: