Saturday, March 26, 2011

A Treasure

Today Jeff and I are going to Pama's home at the assisted living to finish clearing out her things. It is difficult. I am anxious to get it completed. Maybe it will help with some closure.

I have gone back there a few times to work on this difficult task. I would like for today to be the last time I have to go there. When I am there I am touched by the people who come and talk to me. Residents and staff adored Pama. They have told me how they miss her. Everyone was very shocked by her unexpected passing.

The nurses and aides and the director of the assisted living have all made it a point to tell me how peaceful she looked that morning. One said it was like God had just lifted her soul leaving her body peacefully resting. They all said she looked beautiful.

When I go through Pama's clothing I am reminded of the woman that she was. So many of her shirts are beautiful and bright with fantastic patterns. I love it. This vibrancy that belonged to her. This vibrancy that she wore so well.

I remember going to visit her feeling excited to see what shirt she would be wearing today. What earrings would adorn her ears?

The dinning room at the assisted living was beautiful. Two story windows looked out over Lake Johanna. Bird feeders lined the windows. Brightly colored birds, geese, ducks and squirrels provided constant entertainment. I like to remember her sitting there smiling and commenting on the antics of the animals.

There was one thing in particular that I found in Pama's belongings that was endearing to me and spoke to Pama's character.

At the assisted living they would use paper place mats at mealtimes. On holidays and sometimes for no particular reason, instead of just white they would use colorful paper place mats. Fourth of July would be red white and blue with flags, the first day of spring would be colorful flowers, fall would be orange and red leaves. My grandmother would neatly fold them up before she ate and keep them. Paper place mats were beautiful and special to her. That is who she was. She could find beauty and something worth cherishing in the simplest of things.

She treasured life and she was a treasure to those who knew her.
Joyce

No comments: