Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Happiness #2 : Passion

As my grandmother was the happiest person I've known, it seems appropriate to continue with the search for happiness topic.

This was #2 on my list of ingredients.

Finding and Pursuing your passion.

This sounds so easy, doesn't it? It is not as easy as it sounds but......It's not as difficult as you think either.



To find your passion. Ask yourself some questions. First (oddly enough) take others out of this equation. We all experience great joy just being with our family or doing things for the ones we love but I'm talking about you here. So when you are by yourself.......



When are you most happy? What are you doing when you are most happy? List a minimum of three things but no more than six.



Your answer will be unique to you. It could be mountain climbing, reading, playing tennis, skydiving, driving, singing, cleaning, training your dog, etc.



Mine happen to be: (in no particular order)

Writing

Organizing

Planning

Gardening

Walking

Helping others



These are my passions! Just because it is my passion doesn't mean I am accomplished at this task or that I do it often. It means I am happiest when I am doing these things. These things move me, make me feel fulfilled.


Again take your family out of this equation. Of course my children and my husband are my passion too.


But also remember what we talked about yesterday. How is your relationship with yourself? You can't have a great relationship with someone else if you don't have one with yourself first. Nurture yourself as you would a child.



Pursuing your passion

Now I can feel the angst with this one. Do I need to quit my job and become a mountain trail guide because I love to hike? No you don't. You can and more power to you if you decide to take your passion to that level.



But I am also a realist. I have lived paycheck to paycheck. I understand the needs of my family and myself to survive and thrive. I have responsibilities to myself and others.



So I need to think of how I can pursue these passions and still live up to my responsibility.


Think of the impossible as possible.


Here is an example: Your passion is to become a nurse. You need to go back to school but you work full time supporting your son as a single parent. Look into night school. Even if it is one night a week. People, including yourself, may be tempted to say or think with a groan, "That will take forever." I say "NO, if you never start, then IT WILL TAKE FOREVER." If you can't afford to take the class or have daycare issues. Even if it seems completely impossible and truly it is just not feasible. Don't give up! So it may not happen now but that doesn't mean you can't make it happen in the future when circumstances change.



I knew a lady who so wanted to become a teacher. She married right out of high school. Didn't go to college, had three children. When the youngest of the three started school, so did she. She became a teacher. And a great one.



Now assuming your pursuit of your passion does not involve career change, what does that mean? Make time in your life for your passion!!!! If you love to sculpt with clay, schedule it in your calendar. Love yourself enough to fulfill your passion. Make it happen. You owe this to yourself.



Now on the flip side, I hate to bring this up at all. But I have to. I would feel neglectful if I didn't. My mother had a passion for painting and craft projects. She allowed this passion to become an obsession. It took over our home and her life. It became, to be brutally honest, more important than anything including people. She lost her relationships (#1 on the ingredient list) and filled that void with paint. Sad but true.



Recognize a few key points:

Nothing is impossible even if it is not possible right now.

Your passion does not need to be your job. That would be great but not always realistic. You can pursue a passion outside of employment.

Don't let your passion become your obsession.

Your passions may change as you change.


Sincerely and Passionately,
Joytobe

No comments: