Friday, January 21, 2011

Day 16 Freakin Winter 1-21-2011

Minneapolis Minnesota forecast for 1-21-2011
Damn cold




High 5



Low -29



I have run out of adjectives to describe the cold! My winter blues tip for today. Instead of getting depressed about the cold.....get pissed. You can't be truly irate and depressed at the same time. It would require too much energy in different directions. At least it's working for me so far!

Warning I am venting!

I gotta say I am seriously irritated at our school district. They should have at least delayed school by 2 hours. The temperature when I drove Billy to the bus stop at 6:45 am was -29. That is 29 degrees below zero. Frostbite within 10 minutes of exposed skin.

My problem is this. Teenagers don't dress for the weather. They dress to look cool. I could hardly get my kid to zip up his jacket this morning. In addition to this problem many parents of teenagers just don't give a crap about their kids. I see this first hand with some of Billy's friends. They are starved for attention and care. They cut themselves so someone will notice them. So although I drove my kid there are many parents that won't even see their child leave the house this morning walking to the bus stop in a hoodie sweatshirt.

My son has a seven minute walk to the bus stop. Two days ago the bus was 15 minutes late. Yup that equates to 22 minutes out in the dangerous cold. Certainly enough time for a kid with no gloves on to get frostbite.

It's dark outside and if a kid standing at a deserted bus stop runs in to trouble cause say the bus is late or breaks down before getting to their bus stop, no one is going to see them.

These buses go out on rural country roads. No street lights, no protection from the elements.

If they delayed school it would be light out and the temperature would increase diverting a dangerous situation.

Today my son's bus came early. So early that several kids missed the bus. So you have kids walking 7 minutes to the bus stop, waiting 5-10 minutes before they realized they missed the bus then walking 7 minutes home to try to get a ride. Again the frostbite scenario.

Seriously Irritated,
Joytobe

No comments: