Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Happiness #5 - Accepting the truth

#5 on my list of ingredients

Accepting the truth

What does this mean? Don't live in fantasy land. You can go to fantasy land in your mind occasionally but don't live there. In fact don't go there for more than a 5 minute break from reality.

For instance once in a blue moon I will buy a Powerball lottery ticket. Inevitably I play the, "What would I do with all that money?" game. I envision the car I would buy for my honey, my vacation villa in the keys, the professionally amazing landscaped retreat that my yard would look like, the addition to my home, the people I could help with unlimited funds. Oh, oh no. See I did it!!!! just trying to explain it!

This is dangerous to my mental health and depression management. These visions first give me a feeling of euphoria but then I am left feeling unhappy about my current situation. When gosh darn it...I am truly blessed!! My current situation is blessed!

Lower your expectations.

Something good (besides Billy) that came out of my first marriage. Funny huh? lowering my expectations is a result of my first marriage? My ex-husband told me this about myself. Listen up...cause you will never hear me say this again.....not ever....he was right. Just joking...kind of.

He told me that I would build up an event or a person, (holiday, date night, birthday, etc) in my mind and picture how perfect it would be, romantic, fun, exciting, etc. Then when it would fall short of the perfection ( oh no, THAT word again) I envisioned I would get sad, mad and disappointed.

He was right. I did that. I would make grandiose plans with grand intentions and if something went awry I would be horrified.

Now when I say, lower your expectations, you have to understand I would set the highest of expectations. My expectations required perfection. I still have expectations of the people in my life. They are realistic. I expect and require that I am treated with respect, honesty and kindness.

However I really don't think about upcoming events anymore, unless I am planning them. But even then I don't really set expectations. I don't daydream about them or spend any time envisioning the outcome. I have found I am almost always thrilled and surprised at how wonderful things turn out.

Do dream a little for the future but live for the now.


Live in reality


Joytobe

No comments: