Monday, March 29, 2010

Too Deep for a Monday

The other day Savanah asked what is religion?



hmmmm Jeff and I looked at one another. See we have a diverse family. We believe in God and so do our children. Him being Jewish. Me growing up Christian. We came up with this long drawn out story about different beliefs. How none are wrong or right. Who believes in Jesus. Who doesn't. Different names for this Supreme Being - God, Buddha, Allah, The Son, Father and Holy Spirit and many more.


So She asks Why did McKenna go to religion? ahhhhhh All that explanation and she was really wondering why her friend wasn't home. She had gone to religion class. Wow simple questions deserve simple answers.


But it opened up an interesting conversation in which Savanah asked how I knew there was a God. First I asked her how she knew there was a God? (just to make sure I understood the question) She said well look around. It couldn't have been said any better than that. So I said exactly! She skipped away happy as could be.


But it got me to thinking How could I explain how I know there is God.


When I looked into my newborn children's eyes I saw and felt God as if he handed them to me.


It made me think of my mother's face when she died. I have seen God. Or should I say I saw the reflection of God in her eyes. For hours she had been comatose with her mouth and eyes open (not seeing anything). As she took her last breath her mouth shut, her eyes cleared, she tilted her head to heaven, she looked upward and saw God. There is no doubt in my mind about the wonderful journey she was about to take with her creator.


Aside from that I get this weird almost scary sight. Almost like a dream. I can't make it happen no matter how hard I try. But occasionally for no reason I'll think of our life here on earth wondering the purpose of it all. For about 5 seconds I see something quite incredible. Unexplainable. A vision maybe. It's like I suddenly for a brief moment have the understanding we all seek. The Why of it all. It's peaceful, exciting, scary, lovely all wrapped up into one moment. It is as if I am seeing something I am not supposed to see. For as suddenly as it came it is gone. It is like God gave me a glimpse of heaven. I don't know why but he did.


Now Don't be committing me to a funny farm. Your children are safe with me.

"Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake" -Victor Hugo

I am thankful for this vision, this confirmation of my faith.

Joytobe

1 comment:

Minda said...

I have always thought you had a gift, straight from God, and your vision is a manifestation of it. You see 'beneath the veil' of the ordinary to what truly matters. Glad you shared this!