Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Day 35 Freakin Winter 2-9-2011 My Pampa

Still brutally cold. Yesterday in my hibernation I decided to paint. Paint walls that is. A boring beige color. It works for the entrance and hallways of my house. I add the color in the rooms. The paint they used when they built this house is awful, Can't clean it, smudges everywhere. Next I will paint Savanah's room. An Incredible turquoise sea foam-ish color. Can't wait!

So today I am giving my arthritic throbbing hands a rest. I am going to finish reading my winter joy book.

Thought you might all enjoy this story!!

I often post things about my Pama (grandmother).



Now it is Pampa's (grandfather) turn. I truly regret not being able to get to know Pampa as an adult. He passed away when I was 15 years old. But I certainly remember him and cherish those memories. I often find myself singing, "Mares eat oats and does eat oats, and little lambs eat ivy. A kid will eat ivy too. Wouldn't you?"



Pampa made a difference in so many people's lives. He was always helpful and charming. I recently found an article in the El Paso, TX newspaper written about him. Here is what it said.



Dogs Accompany Mail Carrier on Route
by Virginia Strom


Lloyd White Jr., Five Points mail carrier, makes a big hit with the dogs on his route.


They like him so well that from two to six dogs accompany him every day.


"I like dogs." Mr White said. "But I haven't figured out why they are so crazy about me. Sometimes it's a little embarrassing when they get after cats and the animal's owner thinks all the dogs belong to me."


Afternoon greeting.
When Mr White ends his morning route, he takes a street car back to Five Points for lunch. The dogs leave him at the car stop, run home during the lunch hour and greet him with barks of joy when he resumes his work in the afternoon.


Mr. White who lives at 2821 Savannah Street with his wife and small daughter, Barbara, owns a dog of his own. The dog is a cocker spaniel and does not accompany her master on his route.


One is injured.

There is Vickie a little bull dog which belongs to Mrs. George Kissel of 3604 Richmond Street; Kelly, a red Irish setter and Pancho, a dalmatian belonging to Clarence M Walkers at 3419 Richmond Street, and doc, a scottie belonging to Mrs. Tom F Davis of 3412Louisville Street.
Doc was injured when an automobile ran over him recently.


The dogs begin their daily jaunt when Mr. White goes to their house with the mail in the morning.


Get to know the route.
He leaves the dogs at Copia and Altura streets at lunch and the dogs run home. In the afternoon they wait for him at Aurora and Copia streets.


Several of the dogs have accompanied Mr. White three or four years. It was during the fall that their numbers increased.


"The dogs get to know the route quite well" Mr. White said. "One of them has a "I'll-get-that-cat-or-die" attitude." All houses where cats live have been spotted by the dog which looks them up every day and gives chase.


The dogs boisterously precede Mr. White and arrive at each house before he does.


"Residents know when I'm coming five minutes ahead of time." Mr. White said.

This article would have been written in the early 1940's. The article states his young daughter, Barbara. (my mother). She was born in 1940. Seems like a much simpler time doesn't it?


I love this so much. Yes people followed him too! And he was a quiet humble leader.



Miss you Pampa,

Joytobe

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should post that picture of him with the dogs. Do you have it? <3 Pampa
love you, Brenda

joy said...

I do have it but I am not sure how well it would show up. Mine I think is a copy of a copy. I'll try though.