Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 28 Freakin Winter 2-2-2011 Groundhog Day!!

Happy Groundhog Day!!!

I just love this day. I love the idea that a big rodent can predict the weather and give me hope. That is a lot of pressure to put on Phil's shoulders. He can take it.

And the results are in. Phil did not see his shadow!!!!! Spring is near! How near? I don't need to know that. I just need to know that it is coming. And it is.

I have decided going to Punxsutawney PA and seeing Phil predict the future in Gobbler's Knob on February 2nd is on my list (25 things I want to do before I die list).

I looked up some of the history of Groundhog's day and it was very interesting!

Originally hundreds or thousands of years ago it started as the ancient Celtic festival of Imbolc. It was held on Feb 1st which is halfway between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox. This celebration included a primitive attempt to predict or even control how quickly spring would arrive.

Imbolc was eventually replaced by "Candlemas" a religious holiday and feast celebrating St Brigid. It continued to be a day for forecasting the weather. It was said if it was sunny enough to cast shadows on Candlemas winter was not over. But a cloudy shadow free day meant spring had sprung.

The groundhog prediction started around 1887 with a man named Clymer H Freas an editor at Punxsutawney Spirit a newspaper. He was so enthralled with groundhog folklore that he began writing stories in the paper about the weather predicting ground hog.


I love you Phil!!! Have a very Happy Groundhog Day!
Joytobe

No comments: