Monday, June 7, 2010

The Magic Mirror - Pama and Pampa

Well this is a story that needs to be told. I know my Pama would blush and giggle. I really don't think she would mind. Well she would act like she minded because she is a proper lady but I think she finds this so amusing herself. It needs to be preserved for history's sake. So without further ado....here is the story of how my grandparents met and fell in love.

My grandmother was raised in an orphanage with her sister after her parents died of tuberculosis. If you want to read about that here is the post.
http://joytobelieve.blogspot.com/2010/05/my-pama.html

When she was eighteen she and her sister lived together sharing an apartment. Pama worked in a hospital. She would see Lloyd (Pampa) on her way to work. He was smitten the first time he saw her. Pampa was a mailman, sorry Pampa.... I mean a letter carrier. He hated to be called a mailman. He delivered mail to her house. He said he hoped everyday that she would receive a package so he could go to her door and speak to her.

One particular day he got his wish. There was a package! He rang the doorbell several times before she appeared. He was persistent. He was not leaving the package on the doorstep. Apparently Pama had just gotten out of the shower. She grabbed a towel and held it in front of her body as she answered the door. Now when I think back at this I am a little surprised by her actions especially thinking of how proper everyone was back then. I suppose since she was raised in an orphanage and had no official chaperon or parents that affected her behavior.

Pampa was happy to see her and possibly even happier to see the towel draped across her body. He left the package with her. The next day he walked her to work. Shortly after her began full on courting her. They were engaged and later married.

Years after they were married Pampa told Pama the day he delivered that package he fell in love with her. It was sweet. A few years after that he told her, when she had stood in the doorway that day with that towel draped over the front of her body, she had been standing in front of a mirror. He had seen the entire back side of her body. And that was the day he knew he was going to marry her.

Oh man how I wish I had that mirror. Who knows where it went but that would have been priceless. That mirror ensured my existence.

Love that story. Love my Pama and (God rest his soul) Pampa,
Joytobe

No comments: