Monday, June 14, 2010

17 to 18

My daughter has always had the same favorite number. 17. I am not sure how she picked it. But it has remained constant.



Until yesterday. Savanah brought home a math workbook. It is more for fun and number sense. The 1st question asked, "What is your favorite number? Why?"



Her answer was this. 18 "because you can order things on TV."



This was too funny to me. As Jeff said, can't you just hear the announcer guy, "You must be 18 years or older to order."



Does my child watch too much T.V.?



My children and I have a number / color association. It is called color synesthesia. It is defined: an individual's perception of numbers and/or letters is associated with the experience of colors. I have had this all of my life. It is not like a disorder or anything bad. Many people have this. Basically when I think of a number I strongly picture a color. Even for instance if I see the number 5 in my mind it is green.



so my color palate is this. I put in bold the strongest associations.

1 is white
2 is light blue
3 is yellow
4 is blue
5 is green
6 is red
7 is orange
8 is purple
9 is brown
10 is black



Savanah's color palate is this;
1 is no color
2 is ?
3 is no color
4 is green
5 is orange
6 is red
7 is yellow
8 is green
9 is purple
10 is no color

Billy's color palate is this:
0 is white
1 is red
2 is yellow
3 is green
4 is red
5 is purple
6 is green
7 is purple
8 is orange
9 is no color
10 is white/red

Wierd isn't it?
Joytobe

No comments: