Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Fulgurite. The what?




For Mother's Day I got a fulgurite. It kind of sounds like a naughty word, doesn't it? Say it out loud with me, fulgurite. Again..... fulgurite. Now that you have said it do you wanna know what it means?




Well it's not a dirty word. But I like saying it anyways. You know how certain words you just like saying?




Fulgurites are natural hollow glass tubes formed in sand or soil by lightening strikes. They are formed when lightning with a temperature of at least 1,800 °C (3,270 °F) instantaneously melts silica on a conductive surface and fuses grains together; the fulgurite tube is the cooled product.




Isn't that the coolest thing ever? My rock hound daughter gave it to me as a present. You are basically holding in your hand the path a bolt of lightening took as it hit the earth. In fact the lightening made this glass tube.




It isn't pretty and to some it doesn't look like much.
But I think it's priceless.
Joytobe

No comments: