Thursday, June 10, 2010

Clarification - Worry Versus Fear

Recently I posted information about a few conversations my son and I have had about the book "The Lord of the Flies".

You can read all the gory details here. http://joytobelieve.blogspot.com/2010/06/thinking-for-himself.html

But the gist of the disagreement was my son believes "everything we do as humans is motivated by fear." He gave me many examples of why he thinks this way. I disagree.

My husband read the blog post. Soon he and I were discussing this matter. (I love this kind of philosophical speak. It gets my mind pumped up!) It was my husband who found the answer I needed so desperately. I couldn't find the right words to defend and reasonable explain my feelings. I couldn't explain why I disagreed so vehemently. Believe it or not my opinionated mouth was speechless. My honey found my reasoning for me.

Now I am not saying Billy is wrong because he should have his own opinion. I am just saying I am right. ;)

So to look into this matter we need to define a couple of things.

Fear (noun): an emotion of alarm and agitation caused by the expectation or realization of danger. Synonyms: alarm, dread, fright, horror, panic, terror, trepidation

Fear (verb): to be afraid of

Afraid (adjective): Filled with terror or fear

Worry (verb): to feel uneasy, to turn over in the mind, to cause to feel anxious, distressed or troubled, anxious concern. Synonyms: concern, distress, pother, stew.

Now here is where it gets tricky. Many people use the word afraid when they really mean worry. But they are NOT synonymous. They truly mean different things. I think in general when you are afraid you are probably worried too. But You can be worried without being afraid. Does that make any sense? I read that paragraph over like 50 times. It makes sense to me but barely!

So I worry about his grades. I am not afraid or fearful about his grades. Well maybe a little afraid.

My actions are not motivated by fear (well sometimes). Often they are motivated by worry or concern. I am not a slave to my fears. Well maybe my fear of flying. That is about it..... oh yeah and my fear of the dentist chair! The sound of the dentist drill can send me sprinting away.

This is how you know you should be married. My honey knows me so well he can find my reason when I've lost it! I love my husband so because ... he could finish my sentences for me but he doesn't.

Hope that clears that all up.
Joytobe

No comments: