Thursday, June 24, 2010

When I Grow Up I Wanna Be......

When I was a kid I had a life plan. Oh I knew what I would be doing tomorrow and the next day and the day after that. (George Bailey says something like this in "It's a Wonderful Life." My favorite movie of all time, tied with Apollo 13.)

I used to tell everyone my plan. My parents would chuckle and roll their eyes.

This was my plan. This was my dream.

I would be an Olympic Gymnast. After winning my first gold medal..................................
I would be an Olympic Gold Medal Ice Skater, when I became to old to skate...................
I would become a Grammy award winning singer, then.........................................................
I would become an Oscar award winning actress. when I became old like 40....................................
I would become a lost civilization finding Archaeologist, then........................................................
I would die.

I had a plan. With this plan I promised my father with all of my fame and fortune I would buy him his Jaguar (his favorite car.) Around my 25th birthday I gave my father his Jaguar, a lovely little red luxury matchbox car. He enjoyed the irony of it.

Well, I.....I am, in an odd sort of way, living my dream. The plan has changed some.

Gymnast? Well I can still stand on my hands and do a cartwheel, even a round off.

Ice Skater? I enjoy figure skating even now. I can still do a small whoop-dee-doo on ice.

Singer? I love to sing and do it often even at the embarrassment of my family.

Actress? Well heck, I act all the time: I act like I care, I act as if I like people that I don't, I act like the things my teenage son says don't freak me out. I am an accomplished actor.

Archaeologist? Shoot, not a day goes by that I am not studying footprints in my garden, comparing shoe marks and sizes trying to solve the puzzle of who keeps tromping through my garden. It's definitely a Sketcher and I think size 1.

I think it is interesting that I didn't envision myself as a wife or mother. Which oddly enough have been my most important and fulfilling roles I have ever had.

Not what I envisioned as a child but I couldn't be happier with this life of mine.

Why, yes, I am living the dream.
Joytobe

No comments: