Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pumpkin Patch Farm - Sacred Ground


Oh how I love fall. This is one of my favorite parts. Going to the farm to get pumpkins. We spend hours at the farm. The animals are so adorable and sweet. We laugh and play. I love these moments as a family. I wouldn't trade these times for anything!



The first little cutie we see is Archie. He is a sweet old cat who spends all of his time with his eyes closed. I think I have seen his eyes but I am not sure. Savanah spends quite a bit of time with Archie. She loves cats but Daddy is allergic to them!



Then we head over to the baby chickens. I am sure the chickens just love the scent of cat on Savanah's hands. That is assuming chickens can smell?





Then it is on to the beautiful sweet baby goats. These are Savanah's favorites! They flock to her too. They are precious!



She holds them forever. They never seem to mind.


Then Jeff and my favorite. The baby cows! Oh Have you ever seen such cuteness? They love to have their necks scratched and rubbed. This one was a licker. His/her tongue was really rough!



This little baby cow adored Jeff. It just kinda rested it's head in Jeff's hands. Oh I want one!!




Then the kids and Jeff begin a friendly game of teether ball while I snap photo's. They have a blast. They also have many brain altering near misses where I gasp. Watching someone move their head just in time to not get a concussion!





This picture shows my point exactly. They have so much fun and I just savor every moment!





More Teether ball!



Eventually we pick out our pumpkins.

Now on to why this place is sacred ground. Our second year visiting ( 5 years ago) this farm misfortune occurred. During a friendly game of teether ball the unthinkable happened.



While hitting the ball, my honey's wedding ring flew off of his finger! It landed somewhere in the grassy, leaf covered field. The farmer, his wife and many visitors were with us on their hands and knees looking for it. We ran into the small town and rented a metal detector. We looked for hours and never found that ring. Jeff was devastated. He said he could never go back there without thinking of his lost ring.


Eventually I convinced him that for this specific reason, we had to go back every year! This is precious ground. I spend a few minutes each year looking down in the area of the lost ring hoping to see the shimmer of gold. No luck this year.

Maybe next year!
Joytobe

1 comment:

Minda said...

Your writing is so moving!