Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My Baby Boy Turns 16



My Baby bootie boy turns 16 today. At 5:32 pm. How can that be so?

It doesn't seem possible.

Just yesterday you were in middle school struggling with the awkwardness of adolescence. Finding yourself yet remaining true to yourself.

And the day before that you were in elementary school still playing games. Still innocent. Feeling the magic and wonderment of childhood.

A week ago you were babbling as an inquisitive toddler exploring your boundaries. Always smiling and happy.

And a week and a day ago you were just a babe in my arms. I sat holding you dreaming of all you would become and at the same time wishing I could stop time and keep you in my arms forever.

Through all of this you have kept your positive attitude, your willingness to participate in life and be fully engaged. You have never shied away from the opportunity to laugh at yourself. You have a glow about you. Billy, You shine. Everyone around you sees it. There are those who may be jealous of that. And yet others including myself who just want to watch you soar.


And now you are a young man searching out your way in this world. Oh, you still need me from time to time mostly just to listen. I've bitten off my tongue several times fighting the urge to give my strong opinions. Some days I win that battle and often I do not. Sometimes you and I disagree but I still have great respect for you. I believe you respect me as well.

Watching you feel heartache has been the biggest challenge for me. I can no longer just "Kiss the boo boo and make it better"(your favorite book when you were 1).

But even in the deepest pain you have always handled yourself with dignity and kindness. You are not and have never been careless where others' feelings are concerned. That may be the very thing I am most proud of you for.



You are everything and more that I dreamt of while holding you as that small baby.


I love you!
Mommy


Now get an icepack to bring down the swelling of your head. You are not perfect! lol

1 comment:

Minda said...

Know one knows you as well as your mom Billy, as she has the most time in with you, but those of us who have been in your life on the sidelines can only agree with every wonderful thing she said about you. You have always been a joy to call nephew and I feel lucky to have the little time I've had with you!