Friday, September 17, 2010

Confused and Baffled

Okay so I went to the ACTT meeting last night. This is the parent support group for the Elk River High School Drama Club.

Of course the school district has no money to support the Drama club. They have sufficient funds to support the hazing varsity football team but not enough to support the Drama Club.

As evidence by this. The drama club has usually put on a dramatic play in the fall. A musical in the spring. And one-acts in between. This gives all different types of actors a chance to participate. Some great actors are not great singers. and vice verse.

So this year the School District has mandated that the plays this year will be, TWO Musicals, one in the fall and one in the spring! Now that is not supporting students with different skills. Their reasoning for this, musicals generally get higher attendance.

The real catch 22 is this, The Drama club is in danger of being cut as a program offered at school because of low attendance. But the school and school district will not spend any money promoting or advertising the plays! Budget cuts and such. Well you won't get good attendance if you don't get the word out! You get my meaning? Also because of church and state separation issues...you are NOT allowed to hand out flyers in the school to students announcing the play or drama club! Oh Great!!

So I start brainstorming with this group of parents. Could we get donations of time or money from local businesses? put signs around town, walk door to door around neighborhoods, contact local senior citizen activity directors to make an outing for their residents to come see the play? Great ideas started flowing from everyone. Awesome! So the president of this club looks me in the eye in front of everyone and says. "This is all great. Now will you coordinate all of this?"

I said, "Huh? What? UUHHMMM......Okay? I guess."

I just don't know how this happened. I asked a question and suddenly I am charged with running the promotion of the next play.

Which By the Way is

Irving Berlin's
White Christmas
Show runs:
Thursday December 2nd 7:00 pm
Friday December 3rd 7:00 pm
Saturday December 4th 7:00 pm

With a matinee performance
Sunday December 5th 2:00 pm


How am I doing so far?


Okay so lets get busy and show this school district what we are made of and that these kids deserve this program! Not everyone has to be a sports star to be important!!

Now after I publish this post and have vented my frustrations out, I will put my lousy attitude away and get busy.

Ready, Set........Action
Joytobe


1 comment:

Minda said...

What does White christmas have to do with Church and State? Sheesh, I'm wishing I could just fund the whole dang production to set these idiots on their ears! Well, we will be there, no matter what.

You will be great Joyce and it will look good on your resume!