Monday, November 8, 2010

Scotch Tape Joy

Stick your nose into a tape dispenser. Draw a deep breath of air in through your nose.


ahhhh Do you smell that? I love that smell. That smell conjures up many emotions and memories.


It reminds me of the childhood excitement of Christmas morning before any gifts were opened. When you stared wide eyed at a pile of unopened gifts that held all the promise in the world.


Now it reminds me of Christmas Eve, the excitement of wrapping the last few gifts for my family.


I think of how both of my children have been so excited on Christmas morning to see Jeff and I open their gifts to us before they touched any of the presents for them. The gifts they made and wrapped with an entire role of scotch tape. The pure joy on their face to give to someone else.


It makes me think of my children's craft projects. It makes me think of Savanah's imagination, watching her tape together all of her little cars and my plastic butter dish to make a train. I think of broken things that my children tried to repair with scotch tape so I would not find out. ;)


It makes me think of wrapping gifts for people I love. It is the best feeling when you find a great gift (thoughtful not necessarily expensive) for someone you care about. That gift that you can't wait to see them open.


I think of when we told my in-laws we were expecting a baby (Savanah). We wrapped up baby booties. The slight confusion about the gift followed by overwhelming tears at the understanding of becoming grandparents. A moment I will always remember.



Then the Grateful Dead Tape for Jeff. I scoured the internet for a dead head. Found the right person who had a bootlegged tape of a Grateful Dead concert performed the very day Jeff was born!

I always aim for that Home Run gift. Sometimes I reach my goal, sometimes I don't. But I always try.

It's the same way with writing a post. Some that I finish really give me a sense of pride. They have a strong meaning or I feel like I truly expressed myself. Or it was just well written. Some of my posts could really use a healthy wrapping of scotch tape to fix them. But again I try.

mm-mm scotch tape. Yankee candle should make a candle that smells like scotch tape!

Joytobe

1 comment:

Amy said...

Ha, ha! This was great. :) I too, looove that smell and can completely relate to the memories that smell brings back. And I thought I was crazy for liking it...shoulda known better...lol