Thursday, December 20, 2007

thinking through the mind of a child

I am always just amazed at how children think. Everything is so literal. Until they become teenagers then they master the art of sarcasm. uuuggghhh

Anyways this post is about how my five year old darling girl thinks. She poses this question to my husband the other night after watching my favorite movie, "It's a Wonderful Life".

She asks, "Daddy was TV in black and white when you were a kid?" Jeff answers, "No, but it was when Grammy and Papa were younger."

Her eyes widened with astonishment, her jaw dropped open, "You mean everything was in black and white?"

Jeff answered, "yes"

She replied, "You mean there was no color?"

At about this time Jeff and I simultaneously figured out that she actually thought life was just in black and white back then. No color not just on TV but everywhere. Try explaining all of that to a five year old. Needless to say she still doesn't understand. Probably because I don't understand the technology that suddenly allowed things to be filmed in color versus black and white. To be honest, I don't want to know. But the mother that I am....if she expresses a need to better understand, I suppose we will look it up on the internet.

I love that she always questions things. Why? Why? why? I tell her keep finding out the answers in life. But at about the 4th "Why?" I'm about why-ed out!

This is when I take one of two actions. If Jeff is home I say, "Go ask Daddy." If not well then I take my mother-in-laws example to heart. When Jeff was little and would ask Why for the tenth time. she would just say, "Z". The end, You're done....for now.

Of course we could call Papa too cause according to Savanah he knows everything!

Have an inquisitive day!
Joyce

No comments: