Monday, December 17, 2007

Oh Christmas tree Oh Christmas tree

Good morning,

Last night we got our tree and decorated it.

This morning I sat in the dark with the tree lights on reveling in the beauty. I have many memories of waking as a child seeing my mother sitting in the dark drinking coffee looking at the tree. At first I thought she was sad then changed my mind, she was peaceful, thoughtful. Now as an adult I see the true beauty of this ritual.

You see a tree is not just a tree. It is a scrapbook of our life. I could tell you where and when and how we came to own 99% of the ornaments on our tree. They all mean something to me. The tree is a reminder of where we have been, where we are. Many of our ornaments are handmade (the best ones). There is this little bird made out of pine cones spray painted gold that I made as a child. It is falling apart but well loved. Many were made by my mother and my children. Jeff and I cherish our first Christmas together ornament.

As for the future, that is the tree's true purpose. As I stare at the tree I dream. I don't worry about the future while looking at the tree. And all things truly are possible. I dream with the innocence and trust of a child. What a beautiful way to start the day. I wish I had that big beautiful glowing tree in the middle of my living room all year round.

Have a happy day!
Joyce

No comments: